I love a good taco and these just hit the spot. They are super easy to make and they pack a serious flavor punch. I particularly love the combination of spicy and sweet in the sauce which really builds in flavor as the meat cooks in the crockpot... gotta love crockpot cooking, makes my life so much easier.
What You'll Need
For the Meat
3 lbs Pork Shoulder
2 1/2 cups Pineapple Juice
1/2 cup Brown Sugar lightly packed
2/3 cup Soy Sauce
1/3 cup Ketchup
1/3 cup BBQ Sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's is my favorite)
1/4 cup Rice Vinegar
2 cloves Garlic minced
2 tsp. Ginger minced
2-3 tbsp. Sriracha (if you want to add heat)
Salt and Pepper
Grated Cheddar Cheese
Corn Tortillas Heated
Mango/ Pineapple Salsa
1. Mix together in a large bowl all ingredients from the pineapple juice down through the ginger and set aside.
2. Prep the meat by seasoning generously with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet (I prefer a cast iron) until it is nice and hot. Sear the meat on each side about 2-3 minutes.
3. Lightly grease the bottom of the crockpot and add the seared meat and about half of the pineapple sauce. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours. I prefer to rotate the meat throughout the cooking process, but it is fine to ignore this step.
4. When the meat is almost done, prep the extra sauce by reducing it over medium heat on the stove top about 10 minutes or until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
5. When the meat is done, shred it up in a large bowl and add some of the reduced sauce to the meat.
Prep the tacos with the heated tortillas, adding meat, cheese, avocados, and salsa. Enjoy!
*If you have extra sauce, or if you just enjoy the sauce and want to use it for other things, I highly recommend marinating chicken in it. It is quite delicious.