Here is a look at how we decided to spend Valentine's Day....
Instead of fighting for a reservation, dealing with large crowds and noisy restaurants, we decided to stay in and cook... and it was delicious!
What You'll Need
6 Medium Yukon Gold Potatoes
1/2 lb of Spanish Goat Cheese chopped fine or grated
Bundle of Chives chopped fine
2 New York Strip Steaks
1 stick of butter
1/3 cup of Milk
1 Head of Cauliflower chopped into florets
Salt and Pepper
Squeeze of 1/2 a Lemon
1. Place the potatoes in a pot of salted boiling water for about 30 minutes or until tender
2. For the roasted cauliflower, drizzle a little olive oil, lemon juice and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder, then place on a baking sheet and in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
3. Prep the chive butter for the steaks by taking 2 tbsp. or 1/4 stick of the butter and soften for a few seconds in the microwave. Once soft enough to easily mix but not yet liquid, mix in about 2 tsp. of chives. Place the butter on a piece of plastic wrap and form into a log before wrapping it up and placing it back into the refrigerator.
4. Once the mashed potatoes are softened, remove from the water. As we like our mashed potatoes with a perfectly smooth consistency, we used a ricer to smash all of the potatoes. Once mashed, any method of mashing works fine, mix in to the cheese, remaining chives, 3/4 stick of butter, and the milk. Cover to keep warm.
5. Coat the steaks lightly with oil then season generously with salt and pepper. Place the steaks on an extremely hot cast iron skillet, you want the pan to be very hot in order to get a nice sear on each side. After you have seared the steaks about 1 minute per side (flipping with tongs), remove from the stove top. Take the butter out of the fridge and slice a few pieces for each steak, adding the butter to the tops of the steaks adds in that steakhouse flavor. Once you have added the butter to the tops place into a preheated 500 degree oven and cook for about 2 minutes then flip the steaks using tongs and cook for another 2 minutes (medium rare... add a minute to each side for medium).
Remove the steaks from the skillet and let rest covered with tin foil for about 2 minutes.
Serve and Enjoy!